Your First Visit
- Getting to know your doctor on a personal level is important, because being able to trust your doctor’s decisions is crucial for your success. Good dentistry is more than excellent clinical skills and state-of-the-art equipment. Establishing lasting relationships with all our patients is important to us.
- Your first visit is designed to be an information gathering appointment for you (the patient) as well as the doctor. You will not receive your cleaning during this appointment.
- Your initial exam will last approximately 1½ hours, depending on your condition and needs. Your exam will include a review of your medical and dental condition and medications. An oral cancer screening, detailed analysis of each tooth and gum tissues will accompany an examination of the soft tissues of the mouth and lips. We will also complete an evaluation of your bite and jaw joint (TMJ). Your dental findings will be explained to you either at this initial visit or at a subsequent consultation appointment.
- The goal of this initial experience is to co-discover and understand your unique dental condition and, with your input, determine how best to proceed with your own goals in mind.
- Throughout this extensive examination a variety of functions will be performed: all necessary X-Rays, pictures of your teeth and smile, impressions or models of your mouth, a cancer screening of the head, neck, and oral cavity, TMJ dysfunction, occlusal trauma and dysfunction, decay (cavities), and periodontal screening.
- The doctor will then compose a complete treatment plan of restorative and periodontal (gum) needs, and depending on the initial findings, your second visit (your first cleaning) may require a series of appointments to complete. It is at this appointment that and a certified member of the staff will go over the plan as well as the approximate cost of any necessary procedures.